Indiana Pressure Washing Contractor
Midwest Pro Wash
Pressure Washing Guide Forum Index
Pressure Washing Guide
Advice on Pressure Washing Services and DIY Pressure Washing Tips

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Washing Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pressure Washing Guide Forum Index -> House Washing
Midwestpro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: House Washing Solutions Reply with quote

Everything that is subjected to the elements is going to get filthy over time and your homes' exterior is no exception. Whether your house is vinyl, aluminum, wood, brick or stucco it should be washed every year or two. Your home is prone to all different types of man made and natural contaminants. Some of the most common contaminants are mold, algae, mildew, dirt, grime, car and airplane emissions and factory pollutants.

These contaminants can and will cause premature failure of the building materials through rot and decay. A simple exterior cleaning maintenance plan can be invaluable to the life and value of your home.
tongyun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it enough to just wash the house using the pressure washer? I've seen some of the non-commercial washers where they have a soap dispenser. Is that something that should be used? Rinse the house first, then use soap and rinse again?
Midwestpro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a soap dispenser, also known as a chemical injector, will inject soap directly into the water flow coming out of the pressure washing wand when the pressure is dropped low enough to create a vacuum. This is a great method for washing houses. It is commonly called "down-streaming" because the chemicals are getting injected on the downstream side of the water pump. This keeps the chemicals from damaging your pump since they are injected after the pump.

It is a must to use a house washing soap mix to wash a house. Water and pressure alone will not clean. Imagine trying to wash dishes with just hot water and the sprayer on your sink. Without soap your results are limited. Same thing goes for house washing, you are removing dirt and grime and also killing mold, mildew, and algae.
tongyun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to know. Thanks for the tip Midwestpro. I'm going to hop over to the thread about using hot water to see what's been said. It's just about that time of year to give the house a nice cleaning since the weather is getting nice.
absolutelybrilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midwestpro wrote:

It is a must to use a house washing soap mix to wash a house. Water and pressure alone will not clean.

So, say I'm washing a house that doesn't appear to have any mold growing on it. Just trying to clean off the dirt, dust, salts, etc. Do I still use chemical?

I know you suggest the bleach / soap mix, but would you say that simply a soapy mixture (minus the bleach) would take care of the dirt and dust? I know they sell house wash at home depot, but I don't trust the stuff, so I would want to create my own mixture.

Also, after applying the chemical mixture, is it simply rinse off time or is the proper technique an overlapping pressure washing approach used on driveways and such? I will go to no end to ensure my customers a good clean, but I also don't want to do unnecessary work which wastes time and may even damage the home. Is the same technique used for brick, vinyl, stucco, etc.?
absolutelybrilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if a house exterior has partial mold/ mildew growing near the ground, does that mean that there are spores further up that just haven't grown to be visible yet. What I'm getting at is, if there is algae evident in one spot and not in another, should chemical be applied to the entire area?
Midwestpro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good house siding cleaning solution will work for dirt. My technique is to wash low pressure from top to bottom. I use a wide fan and don't get real close to the vinyl. I'm always sure to spray with the overlaps and at a flat as angle as possible so water is not sprayed under the bottom lip of the vinyl.

If there is mold visible on the house I would use bleach/soap mix on the whole thing. Like you said, it could be on areas of the house just not developed to the point where you can see it.

Almost every house we've washed, if it hasn't been washed for a couple of years, will have mildew on it. Normally it first starts appearing on the bottom side of the gutters where it is shaded. If you know what to look for, you'll find mold or mildew on most every house. So for us it is always bleach/soap mix. Not killing mold and mildew is doing a disservice to the customer for what we charge.

Last edited by Midwestpro on Sun May 29, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesonmccartney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: so that's that Reply with quote

hmmn, i'm not that confident in pressure washing all of the sudden.
jamesonmccartney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: btw Reply with quote

i am aware of the combination of pressure washing + chemical mixtures. this perhaps the reason why sometimes i'm very hesitant in hiring this one pressure washing south carolina company here. they assure me though that it's safe with the paints and all. guess i have to read some more discussions about chem mixtures in this forum. since im a newbie here.
A-PLUS
Contractor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameson, give this pressure washing columbia company a call. They are very good and know their stuff. I recommend them highly.
jamesonmccartney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

i looked at them and looks like they have what it takes... thank you so much.
A-PLUS
Contractor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome. Glad I could help. They won't let you down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pressure Washing Guide Forum Index -> House Washing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Indiana Pressure Washing Contractor Service Area Listings.
Click Here to view our Indiana Service Area.

Plymouth | South Bend | Warsaw | Culver | Walkerton | Bremen | Lapaz | Lakeville | Elkhart | Syracuse | Granger
Goshen | Leesburg | Mishawaka | Walkerton | Wyatt | Rochester | Akron | Middlebury | North Liberty | Knox | Winamac
La Porte | Michigan City | Argos | Bourbon | Nappanee | Middlebury | Winona Lake | Valparaiso | Wanatah | New Carlisle

Pressure Washing | Contact Us | About | Testimonials | Free Power Washing Report | Roof Washing Report | Pressure Washing Contractor | Indiana Service Area | Free Power Washing Estimates | Low Pressure Roof Cleaning | Deck Cleaning | Pressure Washing Concrete Pictures | Pressure Washing House Pictures | Pressure Washing Guide | Power Washer Blog

Power Wash